Tuesday, August 7, 2007

There is an age when screaming at the top of your lungs with absolute rage goes from being a misbehaved, why-won't-that-kid-shut-up child to an insane, disgruntled human. Why can't I, while sitting in Panera Bread, procrastinating from a metaphorical research paper on the Chinese Family Altar (sounds sophisticated, huh?) scream, release any built-up rage, and walk out the door not marked as legally insane? That is just madness though, because I'm a 21-year-old intern hoping to someday be highly respected wherever God takes me in the career world.

Isn't age just a number though? I don't know many 71-year-old men going to yoga at 5:30am with his 61-year-old wife who wore pigtails on her 60th birthday. Yes, my mom and dad do that, but according to medicine my dad should have a walker and according to the fashion police my mom shouldn't have worn pigtails past age 10.

My friend's family invited me to a Canaries game last week and we experienced a rain delay. Their cousin/neice/granddaughter wanted to jump in the puddles and I asked to go with. She kicked the water around and I continually tolder her, "JUST JUMP!" I wanted to join her so badly, thinking of the football and frisbee games I've played in the rain and mud and the carefree feeling I had at 10 jumping in the water after a hard rain. We were near the dugout and parents were standing back watching their children play and thinking "Why didn't we keep towels in the car?"

I would have been marked immature. Instead, I became the horrible baby-sitter who convinced the girl to jump, splashing the water onto her pants, revealing a large wet spot looking like she wet herself. I laughed...and apologized for not realizing all the water would land directly in that spot, but inside I was jealous because I wanted to be her running around with wet clothes after a nice puddle jump.

There is an innocence all children have, and I believe the age when it is not ok to scream loudly in public anymore is the age you are when you jump in the puddle knowing your pants will get wet and hope everyone notices.

1 comment:

Care said...

The profile on the MacMurchy blog, says what gets me out of bed every morning is being childlike - carefree and playful. It is, after all, the childlike - not childish - that enter the Kingdom. Happy Splashing, Sweetheart!!