Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Day One

8-20-07
Day 1

Question to Consider: In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

I need to find daily reminders to live for God. Today a co-worker called me for help because he locked his keys in his car. Granted I wasn’t the first person he called, but I was more than happy to help him. I didn’t have a screwdriver, so we went to buy one. Guess where his wallet was? Well, we found a pack of two screwdrivers for $2 and headed to my apartment for a wire hanger and then to his car. After we got his keys out he gave me the screwdrivers and said he would pay me $2 when he has it. That is money that if he remembers, I won’t accept. Nor will I ask him for it. He gave me the tools which he could have back because the likelihood of my using them before him is not great. He can keep the $2 because the whole purpose was help him, nothing more nothing less.
We are to be disciples, helping others without question or reason. It’s not often people ask for help from me…not daily anyway. I need a daily reminder to live for God, not others, not myself. There is a scripture in Ephesians, so I will finally print that off and put it on my mirror. It’s a scripture about dressing in God’s armor. Instead of reading it before bed, I need it in the morning to start my day dressing in God’s glory.

**Looking at the title of Chapter 2, I’m intrigued. “You are not an Accident” Never have I felt like a mistake, or at least my parents don’t make me feel that way, but being born 8 years after the last child leaves room for judgment, ridicule, and many jokes. My parents call me their extra blessing. I’m honored because all my siblings are blessings and my parents love us all equally but in a unique way. I pray from the next chapter I can help others understand that by being an illegitimate, afterthought, or unexpected child does not mean we are accidents not meant to be born. God created us, not our mom and dad. So by God’s creation we are all the same, but different in many ways.
Strangely, those “oops” babies lack self-worth just as the planned children. It’s a lifelong battle and I would put a large sum of money down that we have all found ourselves wondering, “What’s the point?” I struggle finding meaning to my life or suffer from feeling alone, but this does not come from being an 8 year afterthought. This is my struggle as a human being searching for meaning and I pray I remember to ask God for His word, His plan, His guidance instead of hoping it will some play out on its own.

No comments: