Monday, April 16, 2007

God bless Virginia Tech!


(This is one of my favorite pictures from high school. I'm thankful for the friend support system I had and continue to have today!)
It's far too easy to feel naive when tragedy strikes, especially when the tragedy is nearly 1200 miles southeast. God bless the 33 people killed today. Life is about lessons, learning from them, and moving forward. Over 60 families received calls today that their child was dead or injured, and every other student at Virginia Tech has to face reality to what happened.


I spent today watching updates as the death number raised. Before class I made my way to the Union, looked up more information online and a gentlemen from KSFY approached me asking if I wouldn't mind being interviewed about the recent events. Our family loves the spotlight so I nearly jumped with glee at the opportunity to be on the news. Afterwards I made my way to class calling my mom and dad to tune in that night and then a couple friends to share my excitement.


After speaking with my dad I hung up the phone and was immediately filled with guilt. How could I be so selfish? KSFY interviewed me because 33 people lost their lives to an unhappy person. I apologize to anyone who witnessed my excitement today. I would give up that interview or any other ounce of excitement I've ever had in my life so the friends and families of those loved ones would not feel an ounce of pain.


God will always protect and guide us, and I pray those affected by the Virginia massacre have a loving and caring support system. They need all of our prayers and the healing touch of God's loving hand. There are long days ahead for them, some filled with doubt, others with relief, but hopefully each day they recognize God's plan and find comfort in His word.


Isaiah 43:1 (one of my mom's favorite verses) "I have called you by name, you are mine."


God called on 33 more students today. How cool to be in God's classroom now!

No comments: