Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Teacher

One night at supper I was discussing with a friend the Grand Rapids area. A potential internship opportunity arose (the one I am now currently at) and after talking about what I knew of the town he said, “That’s where Rob Bell is from.” Having never heard of the man I went home and worked the google magic.

A month and a half later I sit in my “Conrad Hotel” apartment as my father calls it, in a suburb of Grand Rapids and felt it appropriate to begin reading Velvet Elvis. This past week has had me back and forth on what to do with my life. I recall loving my major, enJOYing the work I could someday do with it but before choosing the major I went from journalism to dietetics to high school theatre teacher to dietetics again to hospitality and finally to consumer affairs.

Today I realized my ideal environment is being surrounded by people. I have had a growing passion to teach and mentor others, hoping to get involved in a church here and help with CCD, youth group, etc. While getting ready for bed I kicked myself for not majoring in education. Ideal schedule, surrounded by people, the ability to mold young minds :), planning, organizing…oh my!

Then on page 21 of Velvet Elvis I read, “Anna, you do not have to go to school to be a teacher.”

What about your past and what about your actions integrate with your innate desires and future goals? How do they intertwine?

It is no secret I’ve had a desire since birth to be a mother. Now with this growing passion for teaching, of course! As a mother I will teach my child. Why do I love spending time with my nephews? Because their mother is mostly absent from their life. Obviously I will never be their mother, nor would I want to take that role, but it is the nurturing and loving on them I find rewarding.

Make a list of your passions. Discover those simple tasks you have always enJOYed doing. Find yourself and learn what you are all about. As alone, lost, and worthless as one might feel, God has something monumental brewing. Who do you want to be? Where do you want to go? Who do you want to influence?

Do you need a college degree for it all? Probably not. Do you need to move to Michigan to figure out what to do with your life? Let’s hope not because their economy can’t handle all of us right now.

No comments: