Saturday, May 12, 2007



The four women in this picture did not exist to me last August. I ran the Hy-Vee burger shack over the summer and had a few "regulars" wondering what life held in the fall.

My response was, "Well, I'll be an RA in Binnewies! It will be an experience!"

Typically what followed was a story about their RA experience, or a family member who went to SDSU, or a 'good luck.'

The middle of August came, we loaded up two cars, climbed 3 flights of stairs (one too many times), and ready or not, my junior year of college had begun. I remember after saying good-bye to my parents, they went ahead and my boyfriend at the time stood in my room with my as I bawled my eyes out, complaining of how scared, unprepared, unqualified, and any other negative thing I was. He comforted me with the, "Everything will be ok."

Organization isn't my forte, planning is. Not knowing the who, what, when, where, why of things drives me insane! That was my fear for the year, just as any other. God didn't give us the 411 of who we'll meet, when it will be, where it will be, etc.

My dad will be here in approximately 7 hours to help load up the final belongings. I sit in my room reminiscing of the entire year, the late-night conversation girls didn't think I heard, the drunken encounters, the creative games in the hallway, the disgusting stench of the unclean bathroom.

Most importantly, the people I met this past year have taught me an abundance of life-long interpersonal skills. Hopefully someday they all know how thankful I am for the past year, all because of them. I struggle knowing I could not offer them more, or maybe did not put enough effort into providing for them. Regardless, I pray they all enJOY their future journeys and do not approach new beginnings with fear. There is a unique aspect of every person on this earth and I am fascinated by and thankful for experiencing over 400 new unique qualities this year. Thank you all!

(The girls in the picture are some amazing women with incredible personalities and giving hearts! If you know one of them you are truly blessed!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.