Monday, December 29, 2008

Happy New Year!

(Christmas in Michigan!)


This year I have decided to make a New Year's resolution. Grade school was probably the last time I made one, as assigned by the teacher. Of course, the entire class had the same "I will be nice to my family" resolution. . .

In efforts to regain pieces of the self-control and self-discipline I once had, I have decided to give up something different each month of 2009. By writing this, I hope to be held accountable, although my mother and sister may be the only readers. Still, this will create that extra push.

Lately I have indulged in different foods, drinks, and/or activities as a scapegoat. Why not have a glass of wine to accompany the Cinnamon Toast Crunch with chocolate chips, peanut butter and whipped cream (a personal favorite my niece and I share)? It offers no emotional satisfaction after a stressful day at work, and post-indulgence I always ask myself, "Did I really need this?"

Notsomuch.

I once gave up chocolate for a year. During that year I gave up peanut butter for Lent.

Why?

Don't ask. It was an incredible sense of accomplishment though, and I am giving this sense another go.

For January I am giving up alcohol--only water to wash down the Cinnamon Toast Crunch masterpiece.

What do you want out of 2009?

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Very good Anna! And how has your self-control lasted through half of January with the no alcohol?

momslikeyouchoosejif said...

THANK YOU Ryan!
Your note is a nice surprise!
The month is going well. A few 'almost slip-ups,' but I decided it wouldn't be worth it.

Besides, it is only January. I expect to give up when I give up baseball or peanut butter for a month. . .

How is the burgh?

Ryan said...

Ha, no problem. And way to go and not giving in to your almost slip-ups, lol. Hey at least now would be an OK time to give up peanut butter since a lot of products are being recalled!

I think I first became aware of your blog when I joined Facebook and saw it on your page. I enjoy it (I guess that's the point with a title like that) because it's different and always uplifting! Thanks for your comment on my Twins post too.

The 'Burgh is way fun especially with the Steelers and Super Bowl coming together in a week. I do miss Michigan though sometimes :(